EDITOR'S LETTER: DISCOVERY (AND HELLO, WELCOME!)




Hello, amazing extraterrestrials on Earth!

One of the many undeniable things we can mention about this world is the verity that its little figures, the ever-so-evolving human beings, are always in search for something. It’s either we’re idly waiting, or we’re moving to find it, or even alternatively. It’s either we catch the first bus, or stay by the bench in hopes that the next one would come along with a wider space that would also fit the fragile lungs. It’s either we decide to go stiffly solo on Cupid’s Day, or go along the wave of The Vamps’ “Risk It All”-- sacrifice precious dignity through writing a confess-to-the-fullest letter to that could-be, would-like-to-be future better half who has always sufficed mid-afternoon daydreams. There are a lot of cases, and we’re more often than not unaware of such occurrences.

In my case, although juggled both, I transitioned.

Let me tell you a little story, retrospect-wise: When we were taught how to make Powerpoint presentations during 3rd grade, I started to make these write-ups ranging from my invented “family elections” (yup, odd) to my full-page rant on how I wanted one ulam to never repeat in a day (yup, odder). As a long rope of months and a huge chunk of tick-tocks went down the drain, I found myself getting glued to typing and typing every little thing that I thought would matter in my life, whilst choosing what color to use as part of my layout. On a more serious note though, yes, I wrote a lot to the point that I started recording every detail of every story that happened at home, like how my little cousin reacted over her new hard-earned plushie from TimeZone, to how my grandmother giggled at my idea when I told her, “can you show me how you cook tapa? I’m going to record your voice,”. Little journalist? Maybe. But it didn’t end at that point.

Fast forward to the time when cities became busier and pop culture became too vast and seas became sadder. The time I spent on Physics and Trigonometry periods in high school were a bit too occupied by elements chopped as follows: 50% listening, 25% staring blankly at the blackboard, and 25% daydreaming and wanting, wanting, wanting-- I want to escape from these classes and make a magazine. Make a magazine, yes.

Finally, we are here.










Our first theme is Discovery (think of crumpled maps, muddy binoculars, fresh starts, unexpected beginnings of things, or even sailing across the shore and getting lost in the middle of something you thought wasn’t so spectacular at first) and I want you to find that something you’re searching for at the moment, and tell you that should start moving instead of quietly sitting on the bench, waiting for another round of applause or another animal-shaped cloud until you realize that you lost your only chance. You can discover something if your hands would work on finding it. The success story won’t be developed overnight and won’t land on the lands even after you give the 100% of efforts, but one thing’s for sure: each bit of a progress will always yield a good product, may it be just one-fourth or a half. Each will change you. Each will make you.  One step at a time, my friend.

To great stories and ideas scattered across the outer skies,

Jelou

Written by Jelou Galang
Art by Shani Rabadon
Photograph by Alliza Andal



Editor-in-Chief twitter: @jeloughee12
          Jelou Galang instagram: @jeloughee
Sometimes in outer space
(But maybe just spaced out)
Full-time rockstar alien on Earth


Contributor
          Shani Rabadon
I believe in the impossible and the world is my playground.


Photographertwitter: @AllizaAndal
          Alliza Andal instagram: @allizaaandal

A shutterbug who's deeply in love with black and white

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

about

Charlie 'n' Charlotte is an online magazine aiming to let out the free, wanderlust spirit of the passionate youth. Charlie means “man”, while Charlotte means “free man”; these two are mixed to prove that every creative idea should not be caged inside a blank room.

Surprise!

Stay Tuned!