SHANI, THE SUCCULENT SUPERHEROINE





Once upon a time, a teenage would-be wunderkid Shani receives a constant supply of you-should-find-a-job advice from her mother (mainly because she observed that her daughter spent a lot for hangouts and traveling). In the next episode, she gets hit by a disturbing streak of boredom during this year’s summer vacation; so disturbing that it finally leads her to forming a product that will soon prove her established sense of responsibility.

Brainstormed. And voila!






Shani Rabadon, a student from the University of Santo Tomas College of Fine Arts and Design, is the maker of the online succulent store KAKTO.PH (https://instagram.com/kakto.ph/). Instagram-based, yes-- the whole online abode has been magnetizing cacti aficionados, creative souls and everyone else in between.


Aside from the aforementioned reason of aiming to save some bucks up for her feel-good endeavors, Shani shares that she wanted to craft something uniquely enticing,I thought about something different so why not sell cacti and succulents since I consider myself almost an expert in taking care of them? (laughs)” She added that during her 18th birthday celebration, she told her friends that she opted for cacti as presents for her once in a lifetime coming-of-age celebration. Well, it was pretty effective if you’d ask me; she received six cacti and a succulent that very night! “That’s where it all began,” she claims.

With the urge to learn more about the beginnings of her blossomed idea, I asked her about the details on how she managed to polish everything before Kakto.PH's actual launch. She then explained that she allotted one week to prepare for everything after the discussion she had with her mom. "Chaotic!!!"--yes, with the exclaimed feels--was the word she chose to describe that one whole week. However, that's just practically the tip of the iceberg. It turned out that she had already promoted the Instagram account to all of her peers and family members even before she actually stormed off to buy the supplies! Now, that's one point towards the risk-taker title! "(laughs) yes, I was really excited to announce Kakto so badly that time."

"How about second thoughts or doubts?", I further questioned. 
"I was going back and forth from Cavite to Manila to find my potential suppliers all by myself-- that's when I wanted to give up already. I was utterly tired after commuting and carrying all of the vases and other supplies all by myself." she further added that she kept asking herself (we hope Shani wasn't too hard on herself, though!): "Ano ba 'tong trip kong gawin?! (What am I even attempting to do?!)" Perhaps due to overthinking, she confessed that at that point, she felt wanting to go back to her "lazy self"- watching tv and lying on the sofa from break of day 'til night. Later on, though, she realized that this
leap of faith is a "headstart in the real world" and fairly expressed, "mahirap pala talaga kumita ng pera. (It definitely is difficult to earn money). So this might be a good training for myself in the world of business."

Before our conservation's conclusion, I commended her on the overwhelming feedback she received after she released her first collection. "Surprisingly, it did! My phone was vibrating the whole night after launching the first collection. I'm [also] thinking about selling in bazaars someday--hopefully soon!--but for now, I just want to take baby steps."


Still not convinced of the awesomeness KAKTO.PH can offer you? Here's a review by one of our writers, Erris Tan:





"I was super satisfied with my transaction with kakto.ph. I was late to our meet-up, but she waited patiently for me. The packaging was also pretty neat and clean. To be honest, with plants, I expected that I would be given a plastic bag containing Adrianna (the cactus). But, I was handed a paper bag instead! Adrianna was secured with a thin paper and a thick bubble wrap. I also saw exactly what I saw in her Instagram page. There was also two cute calling cards where the kakto.ph's logo and basic instructions on how to take care of cacti were printed. As a first time parent of a succulent, I didn't know much about cacti and, so, needed more instructions than what she gave me. She adequately answered them! She knows her stuff. Also, she told me that she arranges the cacti herself. What a wonder! I definitely recommend buying cacti from her. You won't be disappointed with it! I'm absolutely going to buy more from her in the future."



Let the superheroine stir your inner succulent savior!
Visit KAKTO.PH and Shani on Instagram!
///
Let's keep in touch! Follow Charlie 'n' Charlotte on
Instagram: @charlie.n.charlotte
Twitter: @CnCMagazine
Facebook: /charliencharlotte

Interview by Jelou Galang
Art/photo editing by Audrey Turla and Jelou Galang
Additional review by Erris Tan
Photos grabbed with permission from Shani's Instagram accounts



Editor-in-Chief twitter: @jeloughee12
          Jelou Galang instagram: @jeloughee
Sometimes in outer space
(But maybe just spaced out)
Full-time rockstar alien on Earth


Art Director twitter: @Audreeey_Turla
          Audrey Turla      instagram: @heyaudreeey
Touchstone's lady
James Dean's Star
Someone's Poet
. . . Amazing Audrey will do


Writer twitter: @theerristocrat
          Erris Taninstagram: @theerristocrat
Aristocratic Amnesiac with no money here
Princess of the Stars elsewhere

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

about

Charlie 'n' Charlotte is an online magazine aiming to let out the free, wanderlust spirit of the passionate youth. Charlie means “man”, while Charlotte means “free man”; these two are mixed to prove that every creative idea should not be caged inside a blank room.

Surprise!

Stay Tuned!