THAT THING CALLED COMMUTING


Scorching heat from the sun. Sweat dripping all over your body. Sardine-like moments during rush hours in the LRT.  Strangers hating you for disturbing them while you are sleeping. Having back pains and cramps because of getting the not-so-best seat in the van. Constantly reminding yourself not to ruin your day just because of a rude stranger you happened to be with…


I guess these instances are more than enough to make me loathe commuting.


Yes, I hate commuting.


I hate that after getting up so early, I would still end up getting late because I’ve been stuck in a traffic jam long enough my butt starts to cramp when I move. I hate that I need to bear with strangers who seem to forget that not everyone in this world cares about their problems, especially their heartaches. I hate that my youthfulness is being questioned when I pay for a student’s fare and the driver looks like he saw an 80-year-old granny pay. I hate waiting for a train long enough, and end up waiting for another one for another hundred years because the previous one wasn’t able to accommodate me. I hate that I constantly worry about being locked up by my professor outside the room because the traffic is just unbearable. I hate travelling from Cavite to Manila for about 2 hours and end up just wasting my time, effort, and money, because my prof for that one class I have in that day decided not to have a class. I hate seeing children being exposed to the real world at an early age, and end up feeling sad because I could not do anything about it yet. I hate that my conscience tirelessly eats me up because I refuse to give alms to street people I meet daily. I hate that I, a socially awkward teenager, have to bear all of these situations.


But just like a coin, there are two sides of my commuting story. Commuting is not only about the above-mentioned situations that would make you loathe it just like I do. There are also good things commuting does to a person.


Commuting made me realize the importance of the little things – little things that I unconsciously take for granted every day. The trivial moments I never cared about before started making sense when I commute.


I love the feeling I get when I am able to sit in the LRT. I love knowing the fact that gentlemen still exist out there whenever they give their seats to other people. I love that I hear listening-worthy conversations of strangers. I love that I am able to oppose my hasty generalizations about people because I get to interact with them. I love that I get to see the world through the eyes of a stranger. I love that I am being exposed to the different problems in our society that I (hopefully) would be able to take part in changing someday.  I love that whenever I see street children happily playing along the roads of Manila, I am able to contemplate about my life and think, “How can I not be contented and happy with the life I have right now, yet these people can?”. I love that I get to experience all of these eye-opening situations that I would never be able to experience if I am in the comforts of my car.


I hate commuting. I could write a list about the things I hate about commuting and the list could go on and on. But commuting, no matter how horrifying it could be, exposes you to the different problems of the society: there’s poverty, lack of discipline of the people, absence of the right services the citizens deserve, and many more. Commuting made me realize that sometimes, it is the little things in life that give you happiness when you least expect it. It let me appreciate the things I often take for granted. And most importantly, it made me ponder on how wonderful my life is as compared to the people I meet every day, yet I still have the guts to complain at times.

Every ride in a jeepney, LRT, bus, or van is an adventure filled with new experiences and memories every commuter would surely never forget.  

Written by Dianne Almarza
Art by Japs Sedutan



Writer twitter: @dianneesaur
          Dianne Almarza
Diagnosed with a severe case of separation anxiety from the series and movies she busies herself with
Treats bad days with her beloved creatures a.k.a. dogs



Art Director twitter: @geeyaps
          Japs Sedutan instagram: @geeyaps
Soon-to-be Digital Artist
Is in love with books
A wanderer of thoughts



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

about

Charlie 'n' Charlotte is an online magazine aiming to let out the free, wanderlust spirit of the passionate youth. Charlie means “man”, while Charlotte means “free man”; these two are mixed to prove that every creative idea should not be caged inside a blank room.

Surprise!

Stay Tuned!